Monday, May 9, 2011

I Found The Weirdest Thing In My Dresser

The Palm Pilot. Some would argue that this was the beginning of wireless computing. Now that consumers have a myriad of digital technologies to choose from it is easy to forget the devices that led to this digital age that we now find ourselves in. Upon finding my Palm I am flushed with images of my glory days. In my high school the first person to get a Palm Pilot was Chris. Man was I jealous of that guy. Everybody else in the school had either a Samsung flip phone or a Samsung candy bar, The lucky ones had Motorola Razr's and this guy Chris had a Palm Pilot. Thinking back I am not sure why I wanted one so badly. I had no email to check, no business partners to keep in contact with, and no important presentations to prepare. Somewhere between 10th and 11th grade I lost interest in the device and moved on to the next fad.

When I was in middle school I was obsessed with having the latest gadgets and clothes and of course I had no money to support my expensive tastes. But I just knew that I had to have this device. I had never seen anything like this before. I had to wait until high school before I finally got one of theses devices. Its surprising to think of how rare smartphones and personal computers were just about 10 years ago, where now it would be surprising if someone did not own a smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment